You guys think Strange should grab as much talent as they can? Or focus more on the artists they have now?
If so, who should they sign?
Mega-Pause. This post just lost all credibility
Yeah i forgot about Rittz. so basically..
I think thats everyone...
I've given all the other artist a listen and personally yes i feel they need to be let go..Big scoob and Tech go back..Big deal...BLH sold over a mill before the strange deal..Okay so? He sucks now..he's recycled so much within the past few albums its repulsive...who else is there? Prozak...Okay i personally just think this guy sucks..i cant stand his face or voice so it just kills it all for me..plus he's not strange at all...just very smart..i think thats everyone else besides young bleed which was just a stupid fucking move to begin with...Shoulda signed Irv and kept cog..Mayday ces and stevie Kutt and Krizz then fuck the rest..including tech and rittz thats nine acts..good solid acts..IMO,bitches.
FUck the rest
You named the worse artists on the label. Don't get me twisted cause I like Kutt and Jay Rock but personally I think BLH sucks dick. I think the extreme horrorcore shit is garbage. But to name them and leave out Krizz, Mayday, and now Rittz is just fuckin crazy.
Erik Corona said:
FUck the rest
They need an artist from the East.
This debate has gotten silly, thankfully none of your opinions matter all that much in the grand scheme of things b/c this is a very small sampling of opinions but you know what they say about opinions...
Variety is a good thing, the whole point of having a large roster of artists with different sounds is that you gather a larger fanbase. I don't like BLH or Jay Rock but from what I've read there are plenty who do and a few of my friends love Lynch's old stuff but he's just not for me, that doesn't mean I think they should dump him, b/c he has an audience and he adds to the Strange Music fanbase...his presence doesn't take anything away from Strange for me...that's just silly, how could signing more acts dumb down or over saturate them? It only creates more opportunity of somebody breaking out mainstream and opening more doors for the label. The whole point is to diversify and open as many avenues as possible by bringing in as many fans as you can. I haven't listened to Rittz too much but it's not like his signing should upset me or anything and if Big Scoob makes an album and I don't buy it so what, somebody else did or he wouldn't be making music.
As far as promotion and concentrating on certain artists, touring is a big part, I saw MAYDAY and Stone last year and bought their albums and EP's and I can't wait for their next releases but I also can't wait to see Ces Cru live this year and them not being on this next tour doesn't mean they won't tour or have an album in 2013, there's a time-table and releases will continue to come steadily and if you don't like one artist then don't buy their album but I don't see how signing a few more will hurt anybody else, Tech won't sign somebody until he knows they have a following and can put on a great live show, that's what it's all about.
Anyways, here's my opinion:
1. Tech N9ne: The General. I've been a fan for over 10 years now I guess, back in 2002 or so a friend made me a mix-tape of his favorite Tech tracks off Anghelic and Absolute Power and it had Planet Rock on it too and then I came across a copy of Absolute Power and picked that up and sine 2006 he's been dropping music steadily every year. I don't like every track but that's the beauty of 9, he has so many different sounds that it doesn't matter if I don't like that sex track, I still love 80-90% of the album and always have new music so why should I complain?
2. !MAYDAY!: My current favorite band in the world, replacing Foo Fighters but it's been awhile since I've really been into much pure Rock music, the last 3 years have been dominated by Strange Music, last year especially and !MAYDAY! was a huge part of that. Tech has had plenty of guests but there was something about MAYDAY and Ces Cru that made me look into them more and search out their work. I found a copy of Stuck On An Island and was hooked. I downloaded every free track off maydayonline.com and made my own MAYDAY playlists leading up to the release of Take Me To Your Leader, I think that's a brilliant album and it's a shame more people haven't had the privilege of listening to it and if you don't like the album that's fine but it's a masterpiece and more than any Strange artist, they understand MUSIC, not just beats and rhymes but MUSIC. They bring in a different fan so if you're all about hip-hop and don't like real music then you won't get MAYDAY and you'll make stupid comments like "that Wrek dude should go solo" or something lame...btw, Wrek has a bunch of solo work and is working on a new solo project now but MAYDAY the BAND is one of the best things to happen to Strange.
3. Ces Cru: Loved them on Bad Season so when I heard Unfair I had to find out more, got a copy of the Playground and watched all their vids, became a fan. Liked both mix-tapes, loved 13, can't wait for full album, already have tickets to see them April 6th AND 7th in Seattle.
4. Kaliko: I wasn't a big Kali fan until last year, I had listened a little to some older stuff but hadn't really gotten into his music until Kickin & Screamin which was pure genius of course. I've since gone back and gotten his whole catalog and picked out all my favorites and he still has some songs I don't like but so what, he's got plenty of tracks I do like, if he and Tech stopped making music tomorrow I'd still have hundreds of tracks over the past decade so again, why would I complain? Any music they give me is just a bonus imo, I'm not going to be that picky fan who criticizes all his "favorite" artists but that doesn't mean I like every track they produce.
5. Stevie Stone: Stone isn't what I would typically listen to but seeing him live gave me a new appreciation to him and the Get Buck live HQ video helped to so I bought his album and I've been hooked. I love his vocals on the TNT Remix, he's got soul, he's got ability he hasn't even used yet, he can sang, he just hasn't broken out yet. Sure he's a little more "simple" musically but he's got charisma, he's not an intellectual like Wrek but he's got talent and he's got swag.
6. Kutt: I've always liked Kutt and the only reason he's really fallen on my list is all the new talent that's just better. Kutt is good, he's cool, but sometimes I get tired of somebody telling me how cool they are, I'd prefer they just be cool, if you need to constantly remind me how cool you are....but then again, I really like the video for The One...and that's just him and JL telling me how cool they are so I guess as long as you sound cool while telling me how cool you are it's all good...
7. Prozak: I hadn't really given him much thought but I ended up buying his CD while standing in line at the Hostile Takeover show and I enjoyed his live set so I listened to the album, watched his vids, recently checked out his 2008 release, not bad, pre-ordered Nocturnal, I don't care for the stupid intros but obviously Prozak has an audience so I think it's funny all the guys who wanna kick him out b/c he's a big fat white guy, like him and Scoob can't hang, fat dudes have an audience too, lol, and Tech has a rock element that attracts a certain crowd, some of them like Prozak. I also keep seeing this "should have singed Irv instead" mentality but do we even know that was an option? Maybe Irv didn't wanna sign. Also, Prozak has been with Strange in some capacity for awhile so it's not like his signing had anything to do with Irv unless time travel was involved.
8. Rittz: I've watched a few videos and I don't dislike him but he hasn't jumped out and grabbed my attention. Yeah he raps fast, yeah that Questions remix is cool, he just hasn't hooked me yet, we'll see what his album sounds like.
9. Big Scoob: I like Scoob as a feature and I've sampled his albums but his style just doesn't carry an album for me. I think with him basically being "fam" Scoob gets more leeway and it's not ALL about business, besides, he has fans and it's not like he HAS to make an album any time soon, he can lay back and let others have the spotlight.
10. Lynch: Not a fan. Don't get it. I don't enjoy listening to that but I know he has fans, has a following and has Tech's respect. I don't dislike him on Strange March but it's obvious to me there's a talent gap between him and MAYDAY or Ces, but that's just me. I've never heard his old stuff but I've been told it's really good, I tried listening to that I C U track with Tech and couldn't even get to Tech's part, I just can't listen to dude talk about chopping people up and eating them...at least when Godemis says something I don't agree with he sounds cool doing it...
11. Jay Rock: I don't know much about him, if this was Survivor and I HAD to vote somebody off it would be him but he's got fans, he brings something to the label, a street element that maybe Tech doesn't always attract. I've sampled his album, it's just too "gangsta" for me and not "Strange" enough to get my interest.
So right now I like 7 out of 11, that's a pretty good ratio, that's why Strange has a diverse lineup of different "genres", somebody else might only like 5 artists but that's still 5 artists at one record label and chances are you'll get new music from all 5 of those artists in the next 12 months, so why bitch about the other 6 artists?
As far as new artists? Oh yeah, the Topic? Hell Yes, if that wasn't already apparent, I think at least 13...so 2 more spots no problem but there are more good artists out there that could fit so why limit yourself? My picks?
12. JL: Tech says he wants to sign him so just sign him already, he's got the skills. Brain Scatter was dope, his features have all been spot on, after Brain Scatter 2 he needs to be signed, eventually he'll be opening for Ces Cru.
13. Snow Tha Product: Yeah yeah yeah I'll get shit for this one but she's marketable, she has a following, she has a crew, she has talent. You may not like her but somebody does and somebody will and she could open Strange to another market. Her mixtape isn't bad, it's actually good if you have an open mind, there's something about that Cookie Cutter Bitches video that I just love, the song is catchy and that's what they need to get more exposure, somebody with a catchy earworm song that gets on the radio, like Fuck Your Phone, I didn't like that song the first time b/c it was too poppy but the video and it's simplicity are just too catchy...I'm not ashamed to admit it.
14. Mac Lethal: Until a few days ago he was just that guy in the Guntitled video but then I watched his Beatbox+iPhone+Guitar+Fast Rap=Win video and was introduced to all of his YouTube vids over the past year, I love his Dazed and Confused in 120 Seconds, that's just awesome, I just downloaded his last album and I'll give that a spin next week but I've seen enough vids to know he's got talent and he has VIEWERS which just gets more traffic to Strange. Mac already has a connection with Ces and JL so as long as he keeps doing his thing he'll remain an option.
15. Aqualeo: Assuming they want a label and don't prefer being independent, these guys are brilliant, I just wish I could find more info about them, like release dates and stuff, their web-site is pretty outdated.
16. Twizted: I hear they're leaving their label, I was actually surprised their album was good, wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, it's not a masterpiece or anything but it surprised me, they have talent.
anyway, I've wasted enough time, been following this conversation all week and finally had to display some reason in the midst of all of this insanity, back to your craziness...
I agree with most of Neptune's post. I'll ignore that claim that Prozak is "white" which he's not, and the Mac Lethal and Snow posts. But Aqualeo would be a cool signing
The only person I would suggest dropping at this moment in time would be Kutt. But only if Black Gold is as weak as Kelvin. I really enjoyed all three past albums of his. And Red Headed Stepchild. But Kelvin, ugh, I can't get over how shitty that shit was. Hopefully his new album will change my mind. I'm hoping Kutt brings it back and doesn't fall off. I love his music.
Only person (or group) I would suggest adding would be Aqualeo. Muthafuckas got some skills. And they're shit is dark and perfectly strange.
Here, since I noticed it hasn't had many views. New single. Aqualeo - "Fairytale"